About FSMK Discuss, TOS and Privacy Policy

The “About FSMK Discuss” section in https://discuss.fsmk.org/about has several grammatic errors and can be improved in general. What’s there currently is the following:

This is a discussion forum of FSMK, A non profit organization which works on awareness against the monopolizing the software. FSMK believes in the ideology of Free Software where the user should have the control over the software and not the vice-versa.

Some of the errors are “the monopolizing the software”, “not the vice-versa”. capital letter in “A non profit organization”.

In addition, it might help to give a link to FSF’s What is free software and why is it so important for society?. People might not be familiar with the term “free software” and might only have heard of “open source” or “freeware”.

And, considering this is Karnataka, India, we can also include in brackets whatever Kannada word there is for free software. Like Libre but in Kannada. I don’t know Kannada. So, I’m not sure what that word would be.

Also, has anybody read our site’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy? It seems like some generic thing that came with discourse, and reads very weird. The TOS has stuff about the DMCA, intellectual property, etc. The privacy policy actually says this site retains user IP addresses for 5 years! Is there no way to disable or shorten the time period?

In many ways, the TOS and Privacy Policy read hypocritical for an organization like the FSMK. Somebody should look into it.

Valid suggestions. This service is brought up recently in very short time. We will look in to the write-ups and correct it as soon as possible. Feel free to prepare a nice write-up if time permits and we are happy to adapt it.

Forum for discussing Free Software Politics, Technology and activism.

FSMK is a registered not-for-profit organization whose primary objective is to spread and create awareness about free software technologies amongst different sections of the society. FSMK is driven by volunteers from various backgrounds like software professionals, government officials, academicians and students. The Students Chapter of FSMK works actively with college students and encourages them not only to use free software but also contribute to the development of various free software. We facilitate formation of college-wise units called GNU/Linux User’s Group (GLUG) which conduct various technical sessions regularly throughout the academic session.

“Free software” means software that respects users’ freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free lunch”.

We campaign for these freedoms because everyone deserves them. With these freedoms, the users (both individually and collectively) control the program and what it does for them. When users don’t control the program, we call it a “nonfree” or “proprietary” program. The nonfree program controls the users, and the developer controls the program; this makes the program an instrument of unjust power. More info here.

Prepared the above write-up based on the “About Us” page in fsmk.org.

Please review.

One of the admins can copy the same and update the About page of discuss.

@shijil ^

I do appreciate the effort put in.

Drop the word technologies.

The word academician is in the dictionary, but it is a very uncommon and possibly archaic form. Better use the word academic.

but also contribute to its development would suffice. A little redundant to mention free software twice

No hyphen is more modern style?? Not sure about this. Your call…

college wise GNU/Linux User Groups
Notice the removal of the units called structure, and the removal of the apostrophe.

throughout the academic year

This part is from GNU, I guess. It can go verbatim. Just consider replacing the double quoted emphasis with something like bold-italics.

@ssrameez Thanks for putting in the effort.

The TOS and Privacy Policy will take a lot more effort, unless we replace the whole thing with something much shorter and simpler. Have we written a TOS or Privacy Policy before for something else?

I would have done the About FSMK section, but you’ve already done it. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to work on the much longer TOS and Privacy Policy. Besides, I might not be the most appropriate person to write those.

I have updated the same. Do share the latest content when you are modifying based on @arunisaac’s suggestion.