Why join a GLUG or Free Software Club?

I met a few college students from PESIT-BSC yesterday and they put forth few questions:

• How can being part of a GLUG be rewarding to its members?

• Can there be a official recognition positions like GLUG Chair, Executive Council Members and can FSMK provide these long time contributors with official citations?

• Joining the GLUG is very easy right now (just attend a session or Like a Facebook page), can we make it worthwhile?

I think all these questions are valid ones and we need to address them. If there are certain practices followed in other GLUGs, I’d love their feedback and comments.

CC’ing @shijil @shashankmc @vincentvikram @kishangupta @padawan

We have discussed some of their queries already. Check below links for more detail.

1. A draft of our glug manifesto
    This is a read-only version of the etherpad. If anyone wishes to modify anything, please contact myself or any one of the other moderators.

2. https://discuss.fsmk.org/t/what-is-the-purpose-of-a-glug

3. https://discuss.fsmk.org/t/how-do-we-sustain-a-glug

It would be great if they can attend the next monthly meeting (September 10th ). We can discuss about revamping PLUGIN activities.

Thanks for directing me to these links Shijil, however I do not find answers to questions 2 and 3.

Please advise.

Let me try and explain things the way I understand them.

Can there be a official recognition positions like GLUG Chair, Executive Council Members and can FSMK provide these long time contributors with official citations?

As you are aware we have an Executive Committee at the central level, the members of whom change depending on the member count in the larger general body. For more information please see this post announcing the latest general body meet and this report on it.

When we have large enough local communities, we encourage them to follow hierarchal structures as they see fit. For example, Hassan a couple of years ago also had it’s own local EC and GB, and will probably start again soon as our bandwidth there increases. Similarly, our community centers have volunteers in various roles as they feel the need to implement.

We are happy to provide official backing to anyone deserving of it. In my own GLUG I am the point of contact between TFSC and FSMK and FSMK has provided me with an official letter citing proof of the same when my college required it.

Joining the GLUG is very easy right now (just attend a session or Like a Facebook page), can we make it worthwhile?

In my opinion the whole point of having a GLUG is that it’s easy to join. I love telling juniors about this club we have and then watching their eyes light up when they realize they don’t need coding experience to join. Or that they don’t need to love tech to join either; that they can pursue their dreams of design, animation or game building and still attend our meetups. I don’t think liking a Facebook page or attending a session can be considered as joining a GLUG; you become a member of something only when you engage in a community, and I’m sure most other members would agree.

As for making it worthwhile, it really depends on the individual GLUG, the goals they have set and the audience they would like to cater to. For example in my GLUG one of the goals is to make it as easy as possible for people to start coding, which is why we try and have regular discussions, meetups and workshops over technologies that we find a lot of people want to learn about. When we find people who aren’t very into code but have a clear idea what they can do, we try and engage with them in other ways, perhaps by designing posters, or giving them reading material, etc.
Another goal of our GLUG is to have most of the tech stuff in our college fests run on free software. So for the past year or two we’ve been building websites, registration apps, quiz back ends, etc for our fests, which can be found on our gitlab repository. We then get the ‘technical sponsors’ category, which gives more students an incentive to be associated with us.

I hope the above gives you some clarity about these questions. If there are any further clarifications, please reply to this thread and I will get back to you.

Thanks @padawan for taking the time out and replying to my queries!

Great, this would help students. Is there a mechanism to request for such documentation?

Agreed. Can we have some guidelines or milestones to complete in-order to join the club? All I am seeking is that - joining this club should be worth it. We cannot close doors to a few elitist alone, but at the same time we need to make sure that not everybody who drops by should automatically become a member.

Great, this can be something that would be interesting. I will be sure to check out the repository.

Thanks again! I hope this helps students from the glug,