Solid: conventions and tools to build decentralised social applications

Solid is an exciting new project led by Prof. Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web, taking place at MIT and the Qatar Computing Research Institute. The project aims to radically change the way Web applications work today, resulting in true data ownership as well as improved privacy.

https://solid.mit.edu

I haven’t done my research on this - just visited the link provided. What I don’t understand is why not build on something that’s already available? I know it mentions “Re-decentralizing the web” but aren’t there applications available which tried to do the same? Diaspora with respect to privacy? Zero-net (based on bit-torrents, if I am not wrong) with respect to blogging?
Why start from scratch? Any more details on this would really be helpful. :smile:
Thanks!

Seems like an interesting project.

I think all the current applications that you mentioned have inherent weaknesses because they make assumptions of the existing Internet. I understand that SOLID aims to redefine things. Sometimes you change the architecture if the current one cannot be improved after a structural limit.
Revolution vs Reformation analogy relevant here :wink: