Reviving FSMK Planet

Can we do something about our planet?

What we need:

• More contributors (blog posts)
  • Better layout of the planet itself and make it mobile-responsive

Source code: https://github.com/fsmk/planet

cc @Viggy_prabhu - please tag whoever is working on the project!

The layout needs to be improved. The posts have this weird left alignment on the page. Mobile friendliness would be required as well.

Then, there are too many posts on one page. Need to have some kind of pagination of posts.

Both are fairly simple tasks, I think…

I’m interested in working .

Another thing to be done.

The Adding new Blog section is confusing. It uses the word blog to mean both a blog and a blogpost.

Would it be better to move further conversation on this thread to GitHub’s issue tracker?

Perhaps we should form a team and meet up this weekend or during Diwali to discuss the design and implementation of the Planet.
That would be a good start.

Hi guys

I looked at Planet website and franking it is amateurish.

Suggest that you take a look at Hugo Static Blog Generator or Jekyll the most popular one out there.

With Hugo you would need Node stack and with Jekyll you need Ruby. With both the Applications, you can generate a fully functional blog freeing yourself from wordpress/drupal and other cms platforms. To learn the advantages of Jekyll and Hugo just Google.

I can help your Team with both Jekyll and Hugo should you choose to use either.

I wanted to keep this silent, but to challenge myself on testing the rapid speed claimed by Hugo in generating a website, I created two templates on Inkscape for a FSMI website (It is an unsolicited project of mine. No one from FSMI approached me. My plan is to showcase it to the FSMI team once I have coded the two pages and if they wish to go ahead, continue the work on rest of the pages and a blog section too. My design is responsive and using the standards recommended by experts. All of you will notice that FSMI website is mundane and does not seem to be updated frequently.You guys need to be more active as you guys are young and I am on the wrong side of fifty.

You can see two sample pages Homepage and Aboutus Page. Please open the image in chrome or firefox and click on the image to view it in 100%. I have started coding using the following stack

ElementaryOS - My OS
ZSH shell
Hugo - for Site generation
Stylus - CSS preprocessing
Atom/vim - Editor
GIMP - Inkscape for working with image assets The logo was created using Inkscape.

I had already worked on some websites using Jekyll but wanted to see how Hugo is. So far my experience with Hugo is favourable.

Wish you all the best in your efforts.

SVS

Hello, Sudarshan.
The mockups you’ve created are quite neat. I am a religious inkscape, too.

Anyway, I like the idea of using Jekyll. I’ve read about it a few times and was planning on using it for my personal blog as well.
@saky has experience with Jekyll, he could help us out.

Either way, a meeting at the office is in order.

@Rahulkondi Good. But I am in Hyderabad. So at best I can pitch in with ideas, some webdev design concepts and related issues. At this point, I have to state that I happened to stumble upon this site from a casual browsing of fsmk.

"grunt"
"grunt-contrib-compass"
"grunt-contrib-concat"
"grunt-contrib-copy"
"grunt-contrib-uglify"
"grunt-contrib-watch"
"grunt-jekyll"

The above is from a Package.json for a jekyll project I did using Grunt. The dependencies should be self-explanatory.Of course, the Grunt file is where the magic is configured.

I will however be keenly watching how you guys take this idea forward.

Does these work for planet? Or would we have to extend it? The idea is to use existing blog feeds to create an aggregation, not for writing blog posts directly, isn’t it?

It is a good idea to archive existing planet and make a fresh start with the new site. That way your design & development will be hassle free. You have to consider the burden of carrying existing stuff to new site. Both Jekyll and Hugo make writing blog posts using markdown quick and easy. Your team has to research these tools for suitability.

I have used (and use) jekyll, docpad myself. Looked at octopress, pelican, hyde, roots, hexo, hugo.

I don’t think a “planet” functionality comes native to any of those.

If yes, I’d be extremely interested because I’ve been looking for a better planet software too.

No application can fulfil every requirement. That is why I wrote research suitability.

Any reason to compulsorily use a static site generator for planet?

I use Jekyll via Github Pages, I need to look up on how to run it on an independent server. I also want to check out Hugo, from all I’ve heard, it’s faster, especially for bigger sites/blogs.

@saky No one said compulsorily - it is an option. If your updates to Planet are once in two days or a week ore more, then a static site generator makes sense because it frees you from CMS complexities and its vulnerabilities etc. The pages are plain HTML so advantages there. No more hassles of keeping your Drupal/Joomla/Wordpress updated and managing them from time to time.

Basically, you build your site locally and sync it to your host and you’re done.

With Jekyll, too, you set it up in your local development environment. When you run Jekyll it builds your website which you then upload to your host.

Your team has choices - pick the right one.

I think, if you look at the planet source code it is pretty much a static site generator itself. The only feature that sets it different from usual static site generator is that it fetches feeds to create content. And that’s the feature which a planet desperately needs.

So, who’s into CSS here. The thing we need now is CSS.

I suggest we should meetup once and take this further …

@asd I looked at the planet source code and as all feeds are wrapped in a li element, it is easy to replace that. So, here is a sample page for a feed that I quickly wrote. I used the Gee… Gee. Gimp as example from planet fsmk. Check out the old page/article and the new one. As the structure is all same, it should be easy to replace the existing CSS with mine. Your team can add some more styling to your taste should you desire.

Click here for the sample feed page.

For explanation read the style.css. On Firefox / Chrome using the Inspector / ChromeDevTools to take a deeper look of the page. Hope this gives a direction and some inspiration.

Just going to pop in here with one thing.

Can we not have the giant avatars? I mean, a smaller pic or something is neater.