My first post in this forum so unaware of any regulations regrading posting etc etc.
As per @shijil’s direction I have managed to change the host of our xmpp server from discuss.fsmk.org to fsmk.org. This is a part of the long term plan to migrate all of our chat/communications to a self-hosted platform. check this thread
What did I do ??
- Added a Virtualhost component for fsmk.org
- DID NOT remove the Virtualhost component for discuss.fsmk.org.
- Cleaned up the prosody config files so that management is easier in future.
- Added an SRV record on the fsmk.org server (virtual host server) that routes all xmpp traffic to the discuss.fsmk.org server (actual host server) with the help of @shijil
- enables telnet login into prosody for easier management of the server instance
What will happen next
- The old xmpp host i.e. discuss.fsmk.org will be shut down permanently with no backwards compatibility.
- All the chat rooms (groups) registered under the old host name (discuss.fsmk.org) will be taken down permanently and new ones will be set up on the new host (fsmk.org)
What does this mean for the Community
- NONE of the old xmpp accounts registered on the server discuss.fsmk.org (e.g. email@example.com) will work.
- All the groups registered under the old domain (discuss.fsmk.org)will be inactive permanently.
- We will move from Telegram to XMPP permanently (soon!! (soon is relative term ))
- Everyone will have to create new accounts on the server (this applies only to people who do NOT have an existing Jabber account and/or to people who want to use another separate account)
In case someone is interested; here are the links to the report(s) of our new xmpp hosts from IM Observatory
The certificate score is 0 out of 100 because our certificate is self-signed. This should not be an issue when we migrate to some CA.