Merits of different flavours of GNU/Linux (Was:Poll: What is your primary operating system?)

Just curious. Which operating system do you use as your primary thing. (If you dual boot which’s the default OS that boots up? If you are on a tablet longer than you’re on a desktop, what OS does that run?)

I’m ordering it based on usage share on wikipedia and for GNU/Linux, distrowatch last 12 months

• Android
  • iOS/OS X
  • Windows
  • Mint
  • Debian
  • Ubuntu
  • openSUSE
  • Fedora
  • Mageia
  • CentOS
  • Manjaro
  • Arch
  • elementary
  • LXLE
  • Android-x86
  • PCLinuxOS
  • Kali
  • Puppy
  • Lubuntu
  • Zorin

0 voters

Discourse limits maximum number of options to 20. If you use another operating system, please use comments. (Or, if your flavour of GNU/Linux is very close to one of the options above, choosing that would be okay too, I guess)

I spend a lot of time on Antergos (Arch), Solus and of course, Android.

I now spend a lot of time on OS X, android and Windows. (Sadly)

Hey, Gentoo is not in the list! I use that with the dwm tiling window manager and slock lockscreen with st terminal, last three minimalist free software from suckless.org. “Suckless - Software that sucks less”.

Debian stable has a long release cycle. For those who want the latest packages you may try out either the testing or unstable repository. All new distros are based either on Debian or Fedora

A new discussion related to this topic

(Nitpick)

Not true. There are new distros based on other distros like Arch, Gentoo, Ubuntu (one could argue that Ubuntu is significantly different from Debian, especially when packages are concerned)

I am arguing from a historical sense. Even if the current version of Ubuntu departs from Debian it still was an initial derivative of Debian.The third option which I missed out unintentionally are the source based systems. You have given a few examples

Arch isn’t a source based distro though. Pacman uses binary packages.

Also, if your argument is based on deb vs RPM vs pacman (as opposed to the contents of the package repos), some of them are designed to be distro-independent - RPM and pacman definitely are. Non RHEL/Fedora distros use RPM as well. Derivatives of those distros technically aren’t Fedora derivatives.