Free Software Movement Karnataka (FSMK) is a not-for-profit organization working in the knowledge freedom domain. Free Software is a tool for us to spread awareness, build alternatives for free knowledge in society. We have been working among students, academicians, software professionals and the general public for more than a decade. FSMK is hiring a full time engineer for a project that involves software development and support for FAS. It is an exciting opportunity for anyone starting their career in the IT industry and passionate about problem solving using Free Software.
The Foundation for Agrarian Studies (FAS) is a charitable trust based in India and established in 2003. Its major objectives are to facilitate and sponsor multidisciplinary theoretical and empirical enquiry in the field of agrarian studies in India and elsewhere in less-developed countries. It does so in association with a wide section of people interested in the agrarian question, including persons associated with academic institutions, members of mass organizations working in the countryside, and other professionals and scholars.
This engineer will be crucial to the success of the FAS, by leveraging Free Software for all its automation requirements.
What does success mean for this role ?
You will be responsible for
- the uptime of the FAS Servers. Need to make sure that servers are patched, upgraded, and monitored on a regular basis.
- the backup management for the critical data in FAS. Need to make sure the daily and weekly backups are taken care of properly.
- maintaining the Databases and its administrative tasks.
- the Office network, Printers and Desktops running on Free Software.
- managing the Video conferencing solutions for the firm.
- the inventory management and handle the Cost Projection for the Hardware and Software required for upcoming projects in FAS.
- the automation projects for FAS and FSMK.
- GNU/Linux - User Management, Networking, File System Management. Etc.
- Familiarity with LibreOffice or equivalent softwares.
- Programming Skill - bash, Python, Java
- Strong problem solving skills. You need to be good at troubleshooting issues and quickly resolve issues for the Business Analysts in the organization.
- Strong Interpersonal skills. You need to be the glue among the group.
- Open Mindset for Learning anything new and sharpening the skills that you are already aware of.
This position is best suited for anyone who is starting their career in the IT industry and would love to solve problems using Free Software. You will get an opportunity to work with some of the brilliant minds solving the issues in the agriculture sector of this country leveraging vast amounts of data. You will also be involved in the evangelism of free knowledge philosophy in general and Free software in particular.
If you are interested please share your resume with a cover letter to shijil at fsmk dot org and naveen at fsmk dot org. For any queries you may contact at +91 88 nine two 32 four three 46